Monday, September 04, 2006

Lopaka Goes To The Swap Meet

I've already written this children's story that takes the reader to the Aloha Swap Meet. This is a very common activity for all children who live in Hawaii or those who come to visit. The purpose in this book is to make the child aware of cultural differences as seen during an outing with his Mom and Auntie. The idea for writing this book as well as 12 others that I've planned for, is to help teachers and parents to make the most of the time that they spend with their child in common mini-trips that can be taken any where on the island of Oahu. I hope that those people who are coming to Ohau on a vacation with children will also be able to use the book to get a little more out of a wonderful trip to paradise.

Each of the books will contain a story about a Hawaiian child and a 'field trip'. There will be teaching activities for children 4 - 6 years old. There is a reference/help guide for parents and teachers as they plan their trips to these various places. Each book will also include at least one activity that either the child can do by him/herself or with a parent or adult that will help make learning fun and encourage memories that will last forever.

I've researched and come up with a handful of publishers in Hawaii that only publish stories that take place in Hawaii. So, I will be sending my information their way, hopefully, later this week.

My only concern is that I need to have an illustrator for these books, unless of course the publisher wants to pay me to go back and work on taking pictures so real children will be captured in the activities :) Hey, I wouldn't mind that :)LOL

Wish me luck, and I will keep you all informed.

No comments: